Friday, June 01, 2007

END OF A ROMANCE

On May 29th 2007, I received an email, which was on expected lines; my services were not being sought for the academic year 2007-08 at TAPMI. Thus ended a 6-year romance with an institution that, of late, has been floundering. In the last few months it has received two jolts, the first one being the AICTE notification that the approved seats have been scaled down from 140 to 100 and the second one being the withdrawal of Hostel facilities by its provider. These jolts can plunge any institute into chaos. The signs were there; the entire reputed faculty with whom I had rubbed shoulders at TAPMI have resigned and moved on. Today, as TAPMI enters its silver jubilee year, it is a pale shadow of its old self. It had sanctioned student strength of 100 when it had faculty strength of a mere 6 way back in the nineties; today it has a faculty strength of 25 and its approved strength has been scaled down to 100 students. What went wrong? An ex-colleague called me last night & the conversation veered to the survival of an institution that has given fillip to some great minds. I was optimistic. An institution outlives its students and its faculty, I said. But my friend wasn’t convinced. The competition, he said, has overtaken TAPMI. I sincerely hope TAPMI bounces back, when in June 2008 it is supposed to move to its own swank premises; at least for the sake of its Alumni & its present students. I have my fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, I am enjoying a break. The past four years have been hectic; and for the first time in a long while I am actually having some free time. I have not seen the inside of an airplane for a very long time and the last train journey was on April 15th. Of course, it is too good to last. Come July and I will be packing my bags and moving on……

Memories….


P.S. June 2008 has come and gone. The new campus is taking shape; though it may take some more time to complete. On June 30th 2008 Dr. D. Nagabrahmam retired from service after being at the helm of affairs at TAPMI for the last 15 years. This signals a new beginning at TAPMI in its silver jubilee year. Here is wishing the Institute, its alumni, faculty, staff and students the very best in the year to come.
On 22nd July 2010, I renewed my romance with TAPMI. I am back to teaching PGP I after a hiatus of 3 years. The new campus is neat & classrooms are truly state of the art. Above all, it felt good to be back among some of my old friends!



7 comments:

Arun R said...

This is indeed a shocking news.

We had heard about the notice asking students to vacate the hostels and to make their own accomodation during the summer alumni meet, but the reduction in the no: of seats and resignation of the faculty is really sad news.

Would the student intake be increased once we move into the new campus?

I hope things get back on tracks soon.

GRAM said...

Its really bad news. Like arun i also received the news of the students being asked vacate the hostels. That in itself was shocking. But now add to the the problem of reducing the intake. Some serious problems indeeed.

Lots of reasons actually compound to thecurrent state of the institution.

May be we Alumni can try to do something. Not sure what though :)

Only hope things will be fine soon.

Buls said...

Sir, it is very unfortunate news. TAPMI is facing a lot of difficulties at present... but then so are most of the B-Schools. Even IIM-A/B have infrastructure which borders on pathetic (especially their hostel rooms)... but despite all this, the acads at TAPMI are one of the best... I have realised this after passing out and interacting with students of other B-Schools...
I hope the new campus brings back the lost glory of TAPMI...

Unknown said...

Yes Sir could nt agree with you more on this.... I think there needs to a strategy shift in the way the institute is being run now... anyways i do hope and pray that TAPMI does regain its lost glory very soon for the sake of not just the students there but Alumni, faculty and others associated....

GS said...

Sir, Its really sad to see this and as a present student I may say that we would/have been the most affected by the current changes.Still, our classes are going on just like before, guest faculties have been arrnaged and everything seems normal so I believe that TAPMI might just see through this difficult phase.Lets just hope for the best.

Unknown said...

I think Tapmi is like Banyan Tree. It wont come down like.
This with time it deep roots will nourish it back and get its lost glory back.
Hostel or no hostel would not be a big deal. Present students can manage and I think they are smart enough to manage it.
About the faculty leaving it always there. Its the same in The corporate world as well. Ppl move on to newer roles and challenges but the organisation goes on.

Unknown said...

I think Tapmi is like Banyan Tree. It wont come down like.
This with time it deep roots will nourish it back and get its lost glory back.
Hostel or no hostel would not be a big deal. Present students can manage and I think they are smart enough to manage it.
About the faculty leaving it always there. Its the same in The corporate world as well. Ppl move on to newer roles and challenges but the organisation goes on.

Powered By Blogger